Thursday, June 30, 2011

Welcome to Our New Volunteers!

We are excited to (finally!) announce the selection of two new volunteers from a pool of very strong applicants. Andrea Kraybill and Sam Estes will be arriving in Batahola in September, 2010, to accompany the Centro Cultural Batahola Norte for two years. Sam has been accompanying residents in a Latino shelter for the past year, and Andrea has just graduated from Goshen College. Below are their introductions.

Greetings! My name is Andrea Kraybill, and I am soon coming to join the community at the Batahola Cultural Center. I graduated in May 2011 from Goshen College in Indiana, where I studied fine art, along with Religion and International Studies. I am Christian, from the Mennonite tradition, and a visual artist with wide interests, including theatre, dance, music, and cooking. God opened the door for me to learn about Batahola, and I am thrilled to be joining in your ministry!

I was born in 1988 in Virginia, spent six years of my childhood in London, England, and have lived in Indiana since then. After high school, I spent a year as a volunteer through the Mennonite church, learning from Mennonites in the Patagonia of Argentina. This experience cemented in me a desire to serve in the name of Christ, wherever I go in life, and inspired me to continue living cross-culturally, wherever I am in the world.

While I was taking art, Bible, and language classes at Goshen College, my summers were filled with experiences of community-life, social justice work, and deepening my commitment to the global Church. I spent a summer interning at a mutli-cultural Mennonite church in Philadelphia; a summer living in community with members of a small ecumenical church in east London, where I built relationships with youth and cooked alongside asylum-seekers in a Catholic-run caf. A year ago, I spent three months volunteering at a center for art and faith. In the fall of 2010, I spent three months in Egypt, where I experienced incredibly hopsitality from both Muslims and Christians, and where I taught English.

It is my desire to follow closely God's call in my life, weaving my passions with the needs of others' in the world. I love to build and be a part of diverse community—in age, ethnic background, language, and religion. A goal for my life is to combine my love for the arts with ministry, helping open doors for others to live with dignity and freedom, and the hope that God offers all people.

Hola y saludos! Mi nombre es Andrea Kraybill, y pronto me voy a juntar con la comunidad de Batahola. Gradué en Mayo 2011 de Goshen College en Indiana, donde estudié las bellas artes, y también especialicé en religión y estudios internacionales. Soy cristiana, desde la tradición menonita, y soy artista visual con intereses diversos—incluyendo el teatro, el baile, la música, y el cocinar. ¡Dios abrió la puerta para que conociera Batahola, y estoy tan emocionada a unirme en su ministrad!

Nací en 1988 en Virginia, viví seis años de mi niñez en Londres, Inglaterra, y he estado en Indiana desde entonces. Después de escuela secundaria, pasé un año como voluntaria por la iglesia Menonita, aprendiendo de los menonitas en la Patagonia de Argentina. Esta experiencia cementó en mi un deseo a servir en el nombre de Cristo, dondequiera me voy en la vida, y me inspiró a vivir.

Mientras tomaba clases de arte, la Biblia, y idiomas en Goshen College, mis veranos durante estos años estuvieron llenos de vivir en comunidad, de trabajo en áreas de justicia social, y de hacer más profundo mi compromiso a la iglesia global. Pasé un verano siriviendo como intern en una iglesia menonita multicultural en Filadelfia; un verano viviendo en comunidad con miembros de una iglesia ecuménica en el este de Londres, haciendo relaciones con jóvenes y también cocinando al lado de personas solicitando asilo en un café organizado por católicos. Más reciente, pasé tres meses trabajando en un centro de arte y fe, en los Estados Unidos. En el otoño de 2010, estudié en Egipto, donde los cristianos y musulmanes me daban mucha hospitalidad, y también donde ofrecí clases de ingles.

Es mi deseo seguir atentamente la llamada de Dios en mi vida, tejando mis dones con las necesidades de otros por el mundo. Me encanta construir y ser parte de una comunidad diversa—por edad, étnico, lengua, y religión. Una meta mía es combinar mi pasión por los artes con el ministerio, ayudando a abrir puertas para que otras pueden vivir con dignidad, libertad, y la esperanza que Dios da a todos.

My name is Samuel. In 2006, I had the opportunity to live in Batahola Norte for four weeks and visit the Centro Cultural (CCBN) as part of an academic program through the Center for Global Education. I remember Batahola Norte as a welcoming and vibrant neighborhood and am excited to return! I am also excited to work and participate in the CCBN. I am interested in education and pedagogy, so I am eager to work in an educational institution like the CCBN, in which individual empowerment and community-building are an important part of the curriculum.

I was born and grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona. I was raised in the Catholic Church, and being a Catholic remains an important part of my identity. I have a special interest in the communion of saints and the social teachings of the church. I am the third of four children in my family. Along with my parents, I have an older sister, older brother, and younger sister. Though my parents and siblings live in Arizona, in recent years I have lived in another state, Minnesota. I first ventured to Minnesota to attend Carleton College, where I studied Religion and Latin American Studies and graduated in 2008. I twice traveled to Latin America while at Carleton: once in the fall of 2006 when I studied in Nicaragua (as mentioned above), Guatemala, and El Salvador for a semester, and again in the summer of 2007 when I went to Colombia. I spent six weeks in Colombia facilitating conflict resolution workshops with the Alternatives to Violence Project. Before joining Friends of Batahola Volunteers, I worked and volunteered with various organizations in Minnesota serving the poor and marginalized, including many Latino immigrants and refugees.



Me llamo Samuel. En 2006, yo tuve la oportunidad de vivir en Batahola Norte por cuatro semanas y visitar el Centro Cultural (CCBN) como parte de un programa académico por el Centro de Educación Mundial. Yo recuerdo Batahola Norte como un lugar acogedor y vibrante, ¡y estoy emocionado volver! También estoy entusiasmado trabajar y participar en el CCBN. Tengo interés en la educación y la pedagogía, y por eso tengo muchas ganas de trabajar en un instituto como el CCBN, en que la educación es una herramienta para capacitar a individuos y para fortalecer la comunidad.

Nací y me crié en Scottsdale, Arizona. Me crié en la iglesia católica, y ser un católico se queda un aspecto importante de mi identidad. Tengo un interés especial en la comunión de los santos y la doctrina social de la iglesia. Somos cuatro en mi familia; soy el tercero. Junto con mis padres, tengo una hermana mayor, un hermano mayor, y una hermana menor. Aunque mis padres y hermanos viven en Arizona, en los últimos años he vivido en otro estado, Minnesota. Llegué a Minnesota al principio para asistir a Carleton College. Estudié religión y estudios latino-americanos en Carleton y gradué en 2008. Dos veces viajé a la América Latina como universitario: una vez en el otoño de 2006 cuando estudié en Nicaragua (como se menciona arriba), Guatemala, y El Salvador por un semestre, y otra vez en el verano de 2007 cuando fui a Colombia. Pasé seis semanas en Colombia facilitando talleres de resolución de conflictos con el programa alternativas a la violencia. Antes de entrar en esta posición, trabajaba y era un voluntario con varias organizaciones en Minnesota que sirven a los pobres y otras personas marginadas, incluso muchos inmigrantes y refugiados latinos.

No comments: